Harihar, also called Harish Fort, is 6.43 km west of Trimbak and 1,120.44 metres (3,676 feet) above sea-level. It was one of the forts in the possession of the Ahemadnagar Sultans. Captain Briggs from the British army visited the fort in 1818, and left a fairly detailed description. He described the ascent as truly wonderful. Captain Briggs also added that it was so difficult to climb that only five men could hold it against any odds. He further states that words would not be able to give an idea of its dreadful steepness. It is perfectly straight for about 60.96 metres (200 feet) and can only be compared to a ladder up a wall 60.96 metres (200 feet) high. In 1636 Harihar, Trimbakgad, Tringalvadi and a few other Poona forts were given by the Marathas to the Mughals. Harihar was one of the seventeen strong places that were surrendered to the British on the fall of Trimbak in 1818. This was one of the rare forts that was not destroyed by the British because of its beauty.